Sunday, October 9, 2011

South Carolina!! Gaffney

Rachel and Rebekah Mission Map (2)

Well, I made it to the South!

It's been a crazy week!

It all started with getting up at 3 am to fly out last Monday. There were 12 missionaries in all coming to SC: 4 sisters, 1 spanish elder, and the rest english elders. The first flight was fine except that for the last 40 minutes we had terrrible turbulance! It was like constant roller coaster. The elder sitting next to me ended up loosing his breakfast and never fully recovered until we were safely on the ground in the mission home. We ended up only having 30 minutes to run to the other side of the Detroit airport to get on our second flight to Columia. It was a smaller plane (though still bigger than the one we fly in Alaska). As soon as we left the plane the wave of humidity struck. Luckily it wasn't very hot, just sticky. It's definitely something I've never experienced before. It didn't help that it had just rained. We met the mission president, his wife, and the 3 elders serving as assistants just outside of security.  I love my mission president. He has a firm testimony of the gospel and a strong drive to get things done in the mission. His goal is to double the baptisms for the mission and retain them all. His wife is so wonderful and loving. I felt at home there. I was sad to leave.

We had dinner that first night and then had an orientation mtg. in the mission home. Tuesday morning we got up early and got out of the house by 7:30 am. They drove us around for 40 minutes and then stopped on the side of the road next to a patch of forest. We all got out and went several yards into the trees. Pres. Holm then explained that he wanted all of us to have our own Sacred Grove experience to start off our missions. He gave 10-15 minutes to pray and ponder in the trees, then told us to follow the little pink flags. I loved the peace of the woods as I prayed. I didn't get any grand experience, just a small peace. After the alloted time I followed the flags with the others. After several hundred yards a spire poked out of the trees with the angle Moroni a top it. My heart overflowed as I stepped into full view of the temple and shook Pres. Holm's hand as I stepped out of the trees. Tears streamed down my face. I was totally taken aback and surprised that he had led us to the temple. We went inside and sat in the waiting room and Pres. Holm explained that the temple is the goal for all of those we teach. It is the greatest blessing of this gospel and we want to find, teach, baptise, and retain so we can help others come to the temple. I had never made the connection so plainly before, but it is so true. The greatest blessing God gives us on earth is the temple and we need to help investigators get there at all costs.

We went back to the mission home, had breakfast, went to more training, met the trainers at lunch and did more training, tracted for 2 hours that evening with random trainers, and went back to the home for dinner, training, interviews, and testimonies. Wednesday morning we had driving training (1st half), and then went to transfers where we received our companions. My trainer is Sis. Jepsen. She's amazing and supportive. I'm exited to learn from her. We're stationed in a 23,000 pop town in the north called Gaffney.

It's been tough getting into the swing of things, but as I get used to the work my joy for it increases and as does my love for the people. I still have sooo much to learn, but I promised God I would be dedicated. As I am dedicated to the work, I know the Lord will help me as I teach and share His gospel with others. I love this work. I'm so glad I get to be out here in the work of the Lord spreading the truth of God.  

By the way, the address for the mission office changed. Send everything to this new address.

South Carolina Columbia Mission

110 Oak Park Dr.  Unit B

Irmo, SC 29063

Love you all! Have an amazing day. I hope you all loved conference as much as I did!

Love,

Sister Cottam

No comments:

Post a Comment