Monday, November 21, 2011

Heart full of thanks

This last weekend was amazing.

On Friday we had a special Sisters' training where ALL of the sisters in the mission got together. They just created a traveling companionship so we'll get to do exchanges some time soon. I loved it...especially because I got to see Sis. Roos and the sisters I came out of the MTC with. We also learned a lot of amazing things specific to sisters.

Thomas' baptism went on without a hitch...which is quite a blessing because this guy is 6 foot 7. Yup...he's tall. He had Manfred baptize him who is an older member of the ward and is about a foot shorter. Thomas ended up kneeling down and then leaning back...but he got alll the way under the first time! My companion and I did a musical number before the ordinance. She played the piano and I sang "This is the Christ" (we found it in an old Ensign). Thomas loved it. The most special part of this weekend though was the next day when Thomas recieved the gift of the Holy Ghost. The spirit was strong, and I could tell the difference. His spirit glowed. He was soooo happy to get to turn his life to God.

This whole thing really made me think about the importance of baptism. It's been so long since I was baptized, and I was so young. Baptism is truly a starting place, a narrow gate to get on the path to eternal life. I stressed and worried a little before Thomas was baptized because I was worried he would back out last minute. After he received the Holy Ghost I relaxed and rejoiced. In 2 Nephi 30:5-6 Nephi talks about how the remnant of his people will learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ and will rejoice: "And then shall they rejoice; for they shall know that it is a blessing unto them from the hand of God..." I have been really counting my blessings this past week for the restored gospel in its fulness, for God's love for me and all of His children, for my opportunity to teach others about the restored gospel, for the Atonement, and for ordinances that allow us to partake in that Atonement. Without baptism, without temple ordinances we cannnot access the Atonement, as much as we want to. 

Now that the baptism is over, we have a lot of finding to do. Our teaching pool has dwindled, but I know as we work hard and are obedient, He will help us find others who are searching for the fulness of the gospel.

I still have so much to learn and several hurdles to overcome, but I know the Lord is teaching me and helping me. Through it all there is sooo much to be thankful for!

Have a very happy Thanksgiving y'all!

Love,

Sister Cottam

No comments:

Post a Comment