Thursday, October 18, 2012

lessons in the Spirit: love (from Monday, October 15, 2012)

We've been working hard and striving to be more effective and obedient. We were able to teach several of our investigators and are searching for new ones, and we were both excited to have one of our investigators come to church! Her name is Autumn. We found out a couple of people in the ward know her from work and they welcomed her there. One of the speakers in Sacrament bore a very strong testimony that he knew the church was true, and that got Autumn thinking. We talked with her later that night. She was taken aback by it, but it also spiked her curiosity. She told us she wants to find out what the truth is. She committed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. I'm grateful the Spirit directed us to talk with her last night, even though we didn't have an appointment with her.

My back is continuing to heal which is a great blessing which means we're gradually able work harder. Our mission doctor gave me several exercises that I'm beginning to use to strengthen my back muscles. Along with strengthening my back, I'm striving to strengthen my teaching, to teach more simply and clearly through the Spirit. That's not always easy to do, but as I have begun to study the lessons more in depth, I've gained deeper understanding and then I'm able to explain things more simply. I know the Spirit is necessary for this work. It is critical not only for us as we teach, but for the investigator as they study out the things we say. Without it, there is no proof that what we say is even remotely true. Without it, we're throwing a bag of tools into someone's face rather than giving them the one they need. 

As we taught our investigator Marilyn about the Plan of Salvation this past week, I felt the strong impression that we needed to teach her the Law of Chastity. We had just found out that the man she was living with was her boyfriend. At first I was afraid that she would drop us or avoid us if we threw that on her, but the Spirit said again, teach it. That's what she needs. So, though a little reluctant, at the end of the plan, I began to teach her about this sacred law and invited her to live it. As we taught, the room was tense as the Spirit told Marilyn that what we were saying was true and she needed to change. She told us it would be hard to live, and didn't give a definite yes. We've been unable to sit down to teach her since then, but I still feel that was the right thing to do. If we don't invite them to change, to repent, they will never progress, even when we know what we're asking them to do is hard. I pray that the Spirit gives her the courage to do what she needs to do. She wants baptism so much, and that will be a crucial step for her to take. I love her so much. Now I know a little more how God feels about His children. He gives us what we need, even when He knows it will be hard. He loves us enough to give it to us, because He knows it will help us and bless our lives in the long run.

I know this is the Lord's work, and even when it's hard, I love being a missionary.

I love all ya'll! Have a wonderful week. Stay close to the Lord and He will direct you to do much good.

Love,

Sister Cottam

No comments:

Post a Comment