Saturday, July 16, 2011

“You are assigned to labor in…”

I found out where I will spend 18 months of my life…
We called at the beginning of our dinner hour because back in Idaho, Dad would be home. We dialed all the calling card stuff and then our home phone number. My sister was on the phone. My mom answered and said we had to hurry because Dad had a church meeting soon. Mom then read the first few sentences of my sister’s call…Canada Toronto Mission, Spanish speaking. Her face was all aglow and she was jumping where she sat. She handed the phone to me. Mom spouted out the place, and I forced her to read the actual call:
Dear Sister Cottam:
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the South Carolina Columbia Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months.
You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, September 7, 2011. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the English language…
Tears streamed down my face as she read. At first I was disappointed to hear that it was in the states, but my heart filled with the Spirit of confirmation that this is God’s will for me. My heart was full with the gratitude that I was actually called to go on a mission, that I wasn’t denied.
Though many oo at my sister’s call and merely nod and smile at mine, I still know that I would not have been called there if I was not meant to go there. I am needed in South Carolina, God made that perfectly clear to me from the beginning with that very strong, very clear prompting almost two months ago urging me to serve a mission. We are called to where we are needed. I will not ignore a calling from my God. I know that He knows what I need, who I can help, and where my path will lead. I trust His will with all my heart. I am so grateful for the things He has placed in my way to get me to this point, and I am grateful for the opportunity I now have to give 100% of my time to Him for 18 months.
One of the great perks of my mission though, is that one of my best friends leaves on the 27th of July to go to that very same mission. How crazy is that! She and I will most likely get to be companions sometime during our 18 months. I am excited to serve with her.
Now I have two months to prepare. I know Satan will be hard on me and it will take a lot of effort to stay close to my Lord during this time, but I will strive to fill it with good things and do all the daily things that will help keep the Spirit close to my heart. I refuse to get side tracked now.

No comments:

Post a Comment