Monday, February 6, 2012

struggling, but not letting go of faith

So, we have struggled a lot this week.

Along with the mission struggling (December and January have been the lowest baptizing months in our recient history), I've been battling the tail end of a cold which has drained me of energy and we lost one of our investigators...he quit his job (in home care provider--he was living with the man he was taking care of) and left his phone there, so we have no way to contact him right now...and he was really close to baptism. We haven't had any new investigators this week and didn't get to teach as much as we wanted. We were able to do a lot of work with the Best Relationships proselyting though. A sister in the ward is moving and she was trying to figure out how to share her testimony with her business collegues before she left. We mentioned this concept and she begged us to do it. She gave us 27 names and we have been uber busy getting it all organized.

Through the struggles of the week though, it has been a huge growing experience. Because of my frustration in our lack of progression this week, I took time to reevaluate what I was doing and how I could improve. Along with that, Sister Kloepfel and I have set a goal of 3 baptisms for this month. This is a really high goal but we both felt that that was what it needed to be. Right now we don't have a very big teaching pool so this goal seems really out there and almost impossible. We've been discussing together what we need to do to achieve this goal. We've decided we are going to have to adjust how we go about doing everything from studying to planning to contacting to teaching. Pres. Holm talked last week in a mission wide conference call about doing everything with faith from our studies to our work. We are striving to implement that. He also spoke about how this time is precious. Our zone leaders talked to us about how this work is an emergency. The captian is calling "All hands on deck!" We need to be urgent in all we do. As we've re-evaluated this weekend I feel now like I have more purpose. I have so much to do and so many ways to improve. Now, I have to start implementing the changes I want to make. No more going with the flow. That doesn't get anything done. It is time to be bold. Time to let everyone I talk with know how important this gospel really is. There is no time to waste.

In studies this morning Sis. Kloepfel found this scripture:

"Do this thing which I have commanded you and you shall prosper. Be faithful and yield to no temptation. Stand fast in the work where with I have called you, and a hair of your head shall not be lost, and you shall be lifted up at the last day. Amen." D&C 9:13-14

We have a large goal to meet. The Lord inspired us to set that goal. He asked us to do it, so He will help us accomplish it, but only if we are doing everything in our power to accomplish. For the Lord gives us no commandment without making a way that we can accomplish it. I want to lose myself in the work of the Lord. I want to give all my heart to Him. Only as I totally surrender(4th missionary...yeah, we were taught it too) will the Lord be able to use me as His tool in bringing about the exhaultation of His children.

I am so grateful for what I have learned this week and I have faith that as I give my all, the Lord will do the rest.

Love you all!

Sister Cottam

P.S. Can you mail me Grandma Stewart's white chili recipe? They're having a chili cook off in my ward on the 17th and I was thinking I might make it. Thanks :)

P.P.S. Sister Porr from the ward would like to befriend any of you on facebook. Her name is Mickie Porr if you want to find her.

No comments:

Post a Comment