Tuesday, April 10, 2012

the Spirit

We found a lot of investigators last week. This week we've been trying to help those investigators progress (some have and some haven't) and find others who are also ready for the gospel. It was spring break, so one of our families was out of town. The other family worked late all week, but we got to talk to the husband last night for a few minutes. He was eager to meet with us again and to come to church next week. I can't wait to teach them again.

This week has been one for a lot of reflection. I loved Mom's note at the end of her email this week: "Here I ask-- are we so aware of the Spirit's voice that we immediately react to it?"

In the mission field there is a stark difference from the times you do have the Spirit and the times that you don't. I've let several small things get in my way this transfer as I've struggled to learn the new area, and I finally realized that part of my struggles over the past few weeks have been from a lack of the Spirit. I've let my heart get discouraged; I've doubted; I've let frustration fester; and I've allowed fear to keep me quiet. These things steal away the Spirit, and the Lord's work cannot be done without it. For a long while I wasn't sure why I was struggling or how I could improve, but as I turned to the Lord in sincere prayer and listened closely to the Spirit, little by little he taught me, and I've seen the blessings of following the council I have received.

As I have worked through this past transfer and as I now look back, I can see how even these simple trials of overcoming my weaknesses and dealing with the challenges of learning a new area seem big in the moment, but are exactly the size the Lord needed to make them in order to help me grow. If nothing else, through these growing experiences I have learned how to truly rely on the Lord and the Spirit. I've learned that the souls I've been sent to teach are precious, and the Lord loves them so much. I was sent here for them, not neccessarily for me.

I am so grateful for the priesthood power that was restored again to the earth to run this church and bless our individual lives. I am so grateful for personal revelation. I am so grateful that the Savior suffered for us and then rose again the third day. I am so grateful for this opportunity I have to serve the Lord here in Greenville, South Carolina. We are working with several precious children of God right now, and I can see the Lord working in their lives. The quiet moments when I get to witness the power of the Holy Ghost touch a heart make everything else worth it. I know this work cannot move forward without that divine help, that amazing power.

Keep the Spirit close. Let it be your guide.

Love you lots!

Love,

Sister Cottam

No comments:

Post a Comment