Thursday, August 16, 2012

Why, how, what.... (from August 6, 2012)

Family!

I am glad to hear the weeks events went well! I'm excited to see the pictures :)

This week we had the amazing opportunity to attend a two day leadership training meeting on Thursday and Friday. I love how the Lord answers prayers. During the week before the meeting we prayerfully thought about everything that we wanted to improve, and every single thing was addressed at the training! Sis. Koeven and I learned so much, and I'm excited to implement the things we learned. The first day we learned a lot about being a good leader and a good missionary. At the end of that day's meeting, Pres. Holm had us listen to "Dear to the Heart of the Shepherd" sung during this last Priesthood session of General Conference (I would urge you to listen to it!). I was deeply touched. He particularly pointed out the final verse and the way that the choir sang/shouted "Yes, blessed master we will!" It caused me to reflect deeply on my own desires and to recommit myself to willing and gladly do the Lord's will in His way. I needed this especially. With all the exciting things going on back home, sometimes I've found myself dwelling on them and distracting me from the work here, but after all that we learned this week, I was finally able to refocus my personal efforts, and can now set these wonderful things up on the shelf, so I can concentrate on the important work of which I am a part.

During the second day, we had members come and be investigators for us. We learned how to improve our teaching and got to practice on them. We also learned an amazing concept: We often communicate by saying what it is, how we do it, and why we do it, but our conscious(instinct/spirit/etc) actually works better the other way around. When we understand the "why" first, we are much more willing to follow through with the rest of it. They applied this to contacting. "Because we have a profound love for our Savior and our fellowmen, we chose to come on a mission and share a message that can bring peace and joy. It's a message that has blessed many lives..." This method allows you to bare testimony from the very beginning. I love it! We've already begun testing the "Why, How, What" method of contacting. I have felt the spirit much more often as we have talked with people, and I can tell from their expressions that they can see that we do love the gospel, even when they decline our invitation. We're still working out kinks in our personal approaches. 

Have an amazing week! Love ya!

Love,

Sister Cottam

P.S. I attached a pic of all the sisters at the meeting with Sis. Holm and Sis. Continey (the mission home cook who feed us lunch each day)

 

100_1546

No comments:

Post a Comment