Thursday, August 16, 2012

seeds...then harvest (from July 23, 2012…I’m sorry these are late - Jesse)

We've done a lot of seed harvesting this week. We pray that they will take root and bloom so that we or others will be able to harvest later. We've taught several lessons to people this week that were mainly planting seeds. Because of this I've thought a lot about something our mission president told us last month, "You can accomplish anything if you don't care who gets the credit." I feel like sometimes I get selfish and want to be recognized for baptisms in my area, but this work isn't about who gets the numbers, or who finds the people, it's about doing everything in our power to help the children of God come unto Christ. We have a wonderful investigator Corvan who we found a couple weeks ago. We taught him again this week and found out he'll be moving in with his dad (who lives outside our area) in a couple weeks. This teen wants to know the truth and loves the restored gospel. Though I'm sad we won't be able to see him get baptized, I know where he is going, there are other amazing servants of God waiting to help him take that step.

We have planted seeds that are beginning to sprout. We met Heather this past Thursday. She is amazing! She's 19 and has such sweet faith. We taught her on her doorstep and she felt the spirit strongly as we shared the first vision. On Friday we taught her the plan of salvation and she had so many amazing questions. She has been confused by several doctrines of her church (like the godhead and the afterlife) and is so happy to gain a better understanding. I'm excited to continue teaching her. She's on date for Aug. 11! 

We had an FHE last night for our investigators. We had two families come. One was Brian and his wife and her daughter. The other was Gege and his mom (who actually know several members of the ward!). It was a great opportunity for them to feel the spirit, learn more about the gospel (from members, not just us), and to fellowship. We loved it. I hope we do another one soon.

I found out about an amazing miracle this week through a miracle moment voicemail. My last companion in Gaffney was Sis. Kloepfel. She's now down in Charleston. She met my first convert, Thomas, before I left the area and her heart yearned to do everything she could to get him back to church. This week she found out from the current missionaries in Gaffney, that he moved down to Charleston within the last couple of weeks, but they didn't know his address. Sis. Kloepfel knew it was a huge area, but she prayed that they would be able to find him. Three days after they found out he moved there, she looked over at a park as they passed, and there, sitting by the fountain was Thomas...my companion Sis. Koeven could tell you that when I heard the message, tears filled my eyes. I've been feeling like I should write him recently, but I had no idea where he was living. Now I know. And now I know he is in the watchful eyes of my dear fellow sister Sis. Kloepfel. God truly moves in mysterious ways. He's not letting Thomas out of His watchful care.

This morning I was studying on the gospel of Jesus Christ. A deep principle stood out to me: 3 Nephi 9:13 "...will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?" As we excersise faith in Christ, repent, make and keep covenants, follow the Holy Ghost, and keep the commandments, our souls will be healed. That's what the gospel is all about, spiritual and physical healing from our pains, temptations, sins, tribulations, etc. through the Atonement of Christ--that act that He performed as He took the penalties for our sins upon Himself. If we will live the gospel, if we will put our trust in Christ, we will be healed, we will receive mercy, we will find true peace and joy in this life and eternal life in the world to come.

I'm so grateful for the restored gospel.

Have a wonderful week!

Love,

Sister Cottam

No comments:

Post a Comment