Monday, February 25, 2013

I'll go where you want me to go!

We've worked hard this week, and despite my companion's health issues, we've done much good. We've been reconcentrating our efforts in our area, Thomson. And I am finally feeling at peace about having to leave most of what I knew behind (investigators, recent converts, members). The longer we're here, the more we feel that there is a great work waiting to be done on our side of the ward, work that God has called us to do. No, we don't have very many active members in our area. No, we can't really visit people I have grown to love. Yes, we have to give our old investigators completely over to the Elders...but that's okay, because that's why he assigned those missionaries here, that's why he asked us to work in Thomson. We found a good apartment this week to move into and are just waiting for it to be approved. We want to move as soon as possible so our work can be more effective.

We've had a lot of wonderful opportunities to work with less active members and found a few new investigators this week. We found a large family, the Thomas's, and are excited to work with them. It was intimidating at first to teach them b/c there were so many (Grandparents and about 7 grandkids) but I have grown to love them and pray for them often. I'm excited to keep teaching them.

We got to find someone for the Elders to teach this week. It was a miracle. On Wednesday, our plans fell through and we had a couple hours before we had dinner with a member in the area.  It was our old area, but I didn't want to tred on the Elders. As we were trying to figure out who to see, I remembered a promising lead nearby who we had struggled to contact. I knew the Elders didn't know about her, so we followed the prompting and immediately headed her way. Dora, the one we had talked to before, wasn't home, but her 19yr old son was. He called her, and she couldn't make it back in time, so we said we would try back another day. Two days later on our way back into town from one of my physical therapy appointments (which are going well and helping a lot), we stopped by. Dora was home and had time to talk! We had an amazing visit with her and she expressed her sincere desire to learn more. Her close friend in Nevada had recently joined the Church and she had been sharing what she was learning with Dora. Dora wanted what the church and the gospel offers because she feels it will bless her and help her sons become better people. We left her with a Book of Mormon and scheduled for Sunday so we could introduce the Elders. On our way to the Sunday appointment she texted and said another day would be better, but we felt we should still go over for a couple minutes. When we showed up, she knew it was God reminding her this was important and she could take a couple minutes in the busy day to talk. She was excited to meet the Elders and felt that they would be perfect for her sons (who are 19 and 17). As the Elders bore testimony of the blessings of the gospel, the Spirit gave me peace that they were Dora's missionaries. I learned that if a missionary is obedient and righteous, it doesn't matter who they are; the Lord will use them as tools in His hands to bless His children. I want to be one of His tools!

I know God guides and teaches us through the Spirit. I know that there are people around us who are waiting for the gospel, whether they know it or not, and if we will seek for opportunities to be God's tools, He will use us to bless them. The gospel blesses our lives so much! I'm so grateful I get to share it with others.

Expect miracles. See people as they can be. Love ya!

Love,

Sister Cottam

No comments:

Post a Comment