Monday, March 11, 2013

I'm a finisher!

Hey all y'all!

In our mission, we have quotes that we say everyday as we begin each companionship study: Our Purpose, The Standard of Truth, The First Vision, D&C 4, and Pres. Holmerisms. The statements that we say from Pres. Holm have been my theme this week: "I love tough things. I am first to do tough things. I do tough things first. I'm a finisher. I love being a missionary."  This week especially, the reality of how short my time really is has struck hard, but I love tough things. I'm a finisher. and I dearly love being a missionary. As I've pondered the last 18 months, my heart fills with eternal gratitude for this sacred opportunity to serve God's children fultime, to have a "divine tutorial" for the rest of my life, and to gain priceless experiences. I feel, as I'm sure many missionaries do, a deep saddness for the end, and yet, anticipated excitement for the future. Good thing this work is eternal :) .

We expanded our borders this week as we drove out to Gibson, Warrenton, and Lincolnton...a lot of driving ;). We had an amazing experience with a member in Gibson, the Kents. Bro. Kent hasn't been to church since his teen years. He has struggled with his strict upbringing and has a hard time believing that God could be loving. He'll never be anything other than Mormon, but he doesn't feel worthy to come back. Sister Kent is baptist, but very open and sweet. Her teenage daughter is full of faith and light. Bro. Kent was late getting home from work for the appointment, so we were able to first answer several questions the Sister Kents had. I loved sharing my understanding of simple and important gospel truths (and I'm grateful for my mission that has taught me how to explain them clearly). We Bro. Kent arrived, he was warm and welcoming, and as we began to talk to him, there was a sweet spirit. We spent a good while discussing his concerns (mostly us asking inspired questions and him answering). We talked a lot about the Atonement. During the visit, especially near the end, we felt the love of Christ so powerfully and tangibly, that he could have been sitting there with us. I know Bro. Kent felt it (even if on a smaller scale). I realized from that experience how this work isn't just about baptizing or bringing people back to church; it is about bringing souls unto Christ, about helping others mend and/or build their relationships with their Heavenly Father. There are many times that I wish I could do more for the people I meet, somehow ingrain in their hearts the things I know and love so that they'll love it too, but then I'm reminded over and over, that this is not MY work; this is God's work. After all I can do, I have to put it in God's hands, to simple plead for the welfare of those I'm teaching, and trust Him.

That's a good life long lesson to remember.

We found a couple of new investigators this week: Wanda and Kristen. We were looking for a less active sister, but she moved, so we knocked on the neighboring doors to see if they knew anything. Wanda was the first door we knocked. She didn't know much, but she asked if we could do some "bible studies" with her. We were happy to set up an appointment. When we came, she had a friend with her, Kristen. We talked about their testimonies and about baptism and they're excited to learn more. I feel that the Lord placed them in our hands. We've been concentrating a lot on the less actives (because there are so many in our area!) and the Lord is helping us find others along the way who are looking for more. "There are people all around you...they are searching for purpose...they are concerned for their families...they need to feel secure in a world that is always changing...The gospel of Jesus Christ as restored by the Prophet Joseph Smith" can help them! (PMG pg 1-2)

I love being a missionary.

Bless someone's life this week!

Love,

Sister Cottam

No comments:

Post a Comment