Friday, March 22, 2013

The work of Salvation never ends.


Well,
It has been an emotional roller coaster this week. I'm so sad to be finishing my mission, yet I also look forward the future.
We have seen miracles this week. We had two less active families and one less active sister come to church this Sunday. It was a sight to behold, to see the joy of the gospel begin to light in their lives once more, to see them decide to move forward and repent. Sister Rogers came to the fireside Thursday night and was touched deeply by the Spirit there. There were many things said (including Hope's second testimony!) that she needed to hear to strengthen her testimony and rekindle her love for the gospel she found only a few years ago. As we have worked with several less active families I have been able to recognize how these members do have testimonies, they recognize the spirit, and when they're humble, they are taught and directed into action.
We've begun doing more contacting around the members and others that we visit. Because of this, we found an amazing sister who is close to the Spirit. We had contacted her mom the day before and had come for our scheduled appointment. Her 30 yr old daughter Tasha answered and said it was a bad time, she was cleaning for inspections. We offered to help, but she declined. So, we scheduled for another day, wished her well until then, and began walking to another lead in the area. About 20 seconds after Tasha closed the door, she reopened it and told us to come on in and "missionary to her". She told us something told her to go ahead and let us in. She hadn't made it to church that day and maybe that was God's way of bringing it to her. It was amazing to see a woman act on simple faith and follow the promptings of the Spirit. We had a brief lesson that was filled with a sweet spirit as we discussed her desire for her daughter to have what she hadn't had. I know the Lord has a special plan for this sister and her baby daughter (that was born premature), and I'm excited to teach her once more before I go.
I am eternally grateful for the opportunity I had to serve a mission. It was 18 months of shaping and molding and miracles. I know I wasn't a perfect missionary and that I'm still not a perfect person, but I know the Lord has shaped me in my weaknesses. I am so humbled by the experiences I've had. There is nothing like it in all the world. The people I've met, the things I've seen, the things I've felt, they have been woven deeply into my soul. I know the experiences I've had and the things I've learned will effect not only my life, but the lives of everyone I will come in contact with for the rest of eternity. Perspective. Humility. Faith. Charity. Testimony. That's just a litttle what I've gained. And it still passes all my understanding that the Lord has given me this opportunity. I'm going to miss it so much. I love being a missionary.
I love you all. I know this gospel it true. I know that God lives, that His son Jesus Christ made eternal life possible, and that this is their Church. I know families can be together forever and that eternity is going to be amazing. I guess Thursday begins the rest of my life (oh my goodness! what!? breathe...it's okay...it'll be alright). Time has gone by way too fast... There's nothing like serving a mission.
See y'all soon.
Love,
Sister Rachel Cottam, missionary

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry Rachel that I didn't get this last one up on your blog.

    ReplyDelete