Wednesday, January 4, 2012

new year and lots of potential–sent on January 2, 2012

Hey ya'll!

Well, guess what, it's the year 2012! I'm having a difficult time accepting that, but it happened anyway. Pres. Holm encouraged us to spend some time on new year's eve reflecting on the past year and making goals for the next in 4 areas: spiritual, family, education/career(we were told not to dwell here), and physical goals. As I sat down and reflected I was so grateful for where the Lord brought me this past year and how happy and excited I am to spend the whole year and then some serving as a missionary. I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow closer to my Heavenly Father as I serve Him with all my heart. I know as I lose myself in the work, the Lord will shape me into my potential.

We've had some awesome things going on in Gaffney this past week. We have two really solid investigators right now. The Porr's daughter will be getting baptized on Saturday! She is so ready and excited. The whole family was at church this Sunday (well, Bro. and Sis. Porr and their two youngest children who still live at home)! I am so happy to see the progress in that family. Even Bro. Porr was talking this week about quitting smoking and preparing to get back to the temple! *Sigh* God is truly a God of miracles and I am so grateful I got to be a part of this one!

Our other really solid investigator is Archie. This guy has quite the personality. He is skeptical about everything--very deep thinker--but is also open to learning what we're all about. The first time Sis. Jepsen and I knocked into him over a month ago I had doubts that he would ever soften enough to accept the gospel, though he told us he was looking for the one religion that was right (and he's studdied A LOT of religions, but none of them were quite it). We decided to try him a couple weeks later and he accepted to read the Book of Mormon. Last week we went over again and he almost gave to book back...scary...to say the least... He had come to 2 Nephi 5 when the Lamanites were cursed, and he stopped reading. He told us it didn't jive with him because the God he knows doesn't discriminate. With help from the spirit we committed him to keep reading. He did. It was a stumbling block for a while, but as he has kept reading and as we've taught him multiple times this past week (almost everyday), that concern has been placed by the side and he is seriously considering this church. Every lesson we have with him is so amazing. We have to teach with a lot of depth and attention to understanding, not just teaching the doctrine, but the why as well; and depend on the spirit to help Archie overcome his concerns, which pop up often. It's crazy to see how the Lord is working on him. He is very stubborn and it takes him time to overcome things and understand them, but he understands. He came to church this last Sunday and told us that he really enjoyed it. He's not making any commitments, but he's liked what he has seen. What I love most about him is that he truly sees and understands the importance of the gospel. He's told us over and over that he does not want to rush into anything, because this will probably be the last big discission he will make in his life (he's 66), and he wants to be fully committed, be fully sure, before he makes such a huge promise as baptism. Whether he is baptized this month or not, I do feel this man will one day be baptized. He has the desire and the smarts to be open enough to listen and try to understand. And, when he does join Christ's church, he will be one of the strongest members around. 

Oops, I promised to explain the new concept we are piloting as a mission, but I have now run out of time. For now I will say that this new tool for missionary work really works! We've started it with one of our members, and I have felt the spirit testify of this tool. Our zone leaders have contacted several of the friends of members this past week and almost every time they are invited in with open arms and hearts. It's amazing what one inspired letter from a friend can do!

Love you all lots. Start off the new year right! Time is so precious, and we have so much to learn yet on this earth. Have a wonderful week!

Love,

Sister Cottam

No comments:

Post a Comment